Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Inspiration

I just ran across a speech given by Richard Feynman that I find most inspiring. I've come across this before in his books, but it's been long enough that I had forgotten.
Too often I forget that childhood wonder that every page of the encyclopedia held. Now, with information so readily available, almost anything I want to know that is known by a human can be found in a few minutes. But why is the wonder gone? I think it might be partially because I have grown into a place in the human race. I can't do everything, be anything. I know my limitations. I don't intend to stay static. It's just that enough dreams have died and enough new ones have grown to take their place, that it takes some brilliant writing to snap me out of everything that I am doing and remember.
I remember the days when I could hardly sleep from the wonder of it all. The complexities involved, the scales of time and space so beyond comprehension, from the bizarre world of quantum fluctuations to the intergalactic spaces. Even now I feel it returning, the wonder and joy of the realization of how insignificant and simultaneously how precious we are as humans.
We have such immense possibilities, and I intend to reach for the stars and the sub-Plank distances whenever I can.

No comments: