Monday, July 04, 2005

I have been reading again when I am not working or downloading information from the net into my brain. Just finished "The Gods Themselves" by Azimov, and now I have started into "The Hitchhiker's Guide: Ultimate Collection" which is ALL of 5 parts of the trilogy. Of course I have read them before, but who can help but enjoy the singular wit of the Adams? After this it may be more Azimov, or I might start the "History of Middle Earth" which I have the first 5 from. I really love Tolkein. The world he created is so rich that it doesn't feel like fantasy and I love that. Oh, and recently read "The Turing Option" by Harry
Harrison and Marvin Minsky. Not great SciFi, but really explores self and identity of AI in a way that I have rarely seen. Hmm. I also have some O. S. Card to read. More of the Ender series. I think what I love about good SciFi is that it twists my mind makes me think in ways that I have not before. I love that feeling of twisting my mind around some concept that is completly alien to my experience and human experience in general.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

did you ever read Tolkien's collection of faerie tales? they're so great. if you can lay your hands on them, definately go for it. I remember my mom reading them to me when I was little.

Chris Crewdson said...

I have Unfinished Tales, but that was a posthumous by his son... Cheating to look it up with Amazon... Ah... Maybe the Tolkein Reader?